OMK!!! I am really excited about SDCC this year, which will take place from July 18-21st! For any Junkies who are going — get ready for some ultra mega kawaii Hello Kitty overload! This is the first year that Kitty-chan has such a HUGE presence!
Below is the official press release:
Sanrio will make its official debut appearance at Comic-Con International in San Diego July 18th-21st, with Hello Kitty Fashion Music Wonderland, an interactive experience that will brilliantly bring Japan’s energetic pop culture to life. Fans will be treated to a colorful, anime-rich experience that will include giveaways, limited edition products, appearances by Hello Kitty and special guests from Sanrio’s Tokyo headquarters, as well as the launch of a new graphic novel, Hello Kitty Fashion Music Wonderland. While Hello Kitty has appeared with partners and collaborators at Comic-Con in the past, 2013 marks the first year that Sanrio is bringing an interactive Hello Kitty fan experience to this famous gathering. Blending the worlds of anime, cosplay, product exclusives, Japanese street culture and superfandom, Hello Kitty Fashion Music Wonderland syncs perfectly with the passionate fan culture that is celebrated at Comic-Con.
- Hello Kitty Fashion Music Wonderland: Open to the public, this energetic hub is inspired by the styles of Tokyo and Japanese pop culture, putting Hello Kitty at the center of the ultimate fan experience at Comic-Con Interactive Zone at Petco Park. Hello Kitty’s band of Lolitas, who personify anime, cosplay and the colorful style of Japanese pop culture, will host fans at the experience. A retail pop-up shop will offer a mix of event-only and limited edition Japanimation-themed collectible Hello Kitty items, including a free poster with any purchase. Hello Kitty will be present to meet her fans in a Japanimation-style outfit that mirrors the collection of products that will debut at the show. On Friday, July 19th and Saturday, July 20th, a nail artist from Tokyo will be on hand to treat fans to a free Sanrio nail art application with any $25 purchase from the pop-up shop.
- Kitty-chan Secret Space: Inside the convention center, the fan experience continues at “Kitty-chan Secret Space” (booth 4537). A term of endearment used for Hello Kitty in Japan, “Kitty-chan” is a nod to superfans and a clue that this Comic-Con Hello Kitty is truly distinct. Comic-Con badge holders will have access to the limited edition pink Hello Kitty flocked collector’s figure by Funko that will go on sale each day. The first 50 fans to purchase the figure on Friday, July 19th and Saturday, July 20th will also receive a free customized drawing by one of Sanrio’s lead designers from Tokyo.
- Hello Kitty Fashion Music Wonderland: A new graphic novel: Published in partnership with VIZ Media, this is the first-ever Hello Kitty graphic novel and it will make its debut at the retail pop-up shop. The Hello Kitty Fashion Music Wonderland graphic novel features three stories, each by a different graphic artist: Jacob Chabot, Victoria Maderna and Ian McGinty.
- Hello Kitty Comic-Con on Social Media (#HelloKittySDCC): Fans can stay connected with all things Hello Kitty at Comic-Con through a variety of social elements aimed at both Comic-Con goers and those not attending the event. Hello Kitty’s millions of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram friends can share photos and access contests and behind-the- scenes footage to connect with their Hello Kitty fan community. The fun starts before Comic-Con with a Fan Fiction contest tied to the launch of the new graphic novel. Fans on-site and at home can stay engaged and entertained through a different interactive social media event each day of Comic-con including Uglydoll and Street Fighter promotions as well as a free download of the Japanimation photo app for a limited time.
- Limited Edition Products and Comic-Con Launches: A mix of Sanrio co-branded partnerships and special product launches at Comic-Con include:
- Hello Kitty Uglydoll: This collaboration will make its official debut at Comic-Con (booth 3245)
- Sanrio vinyl figures will be available from Funko (booth 5343)
- Limited edition Street Fighter x Sanrio plush at Toynami (booth 32290) and Capcom (booth 215)
- Additional Hello Kitty products at Comic-Con can be found at Mimoco (booths 5338 and 2913M), tokidoki (booth 5145) and Mighty Fine (booth 5647)
- The Hello Kitty ‘Japanimation’ product collection at the Hello Kitty Fashion Music Wonderland pop-up shop at Comic-Con Interactive Zone at Petco Park will include leggings, bodysuits, iPhone cases, a wrist watch, plush, cushions and much more
Sanrio, best known for global icon Hello Kitty and home to many endearing characters including Chococat, My Melody, and Keroppi, is a worldwide lifestyle brand founded on the “small gift, big smile®” philosophy — that a small gift can bring happiness and friendship to people of all ages. For over 50 years, this philosophy has served as the inspiration for the broad spectrum of unique Sanrio products and experiences. Today, more than 50,000 Sanrio-branded items are available in over 70 countries and upwards of 12,000 U.S. locations including department, specialty, national chain stores and over 100 Sanrio boutiques. For more information, please visit www.sanrio.com and www.facebook.com/hellokitty.